“It was so amazing. The shelves, the tables, the couches, the meatballs!” I explained last Wednesday night as I was on the phone with a friend. I was so in awe of the new IKEA- St. Louis. Thanks to Danyelle Little, Founder and Editor in Chief of The Cubicle Chick, I was able to tour St. Louis’ New IKEA location! I didn’t know what to expect as someone who’s never stepped foot into an IKEA store before, but once I entered, it was pretty much like furniture heaven. “Isn’t it just like furniture and stuff?” my friend asked in a not-so-excited voice.
IT’S NOT JUST FURNITURE! HERE ARE MY NINE REASONS WHY!
9. The Food!
As I entered I was greeted by hosts then led to a large restaurant style area with food in a buffet setting. Anything from salmon, roast beef, ham, meatballs, deviled eggs, beet salad, potato salad and more was available! I then thought, ‘Oh this must just be a treat for bloggers only’ (per me being a special guest). Then I was enlightened that IKEA will have breakfast, lunch and dinner available for customers and great deals as well!
No shopping on an empty stomach at IKEA St. Louis because:
- The IKEA Restaurant opens 30 minutes earlier than the store for a full hot breakfast, including scrambled eggs, potatoes and turkey sausage for only 99¢.
- The 450-seat restaurant also offers a diverse menu featuring lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert, including Swedish specialties such as the popular IKEA Swedish meatballs (as well as chicken or veggie versions), seafood plates, pasta, chicken, salads, sandwiches, and vegetarian dishes too.
- Menu choices for kids include a child’s portion of Swedish meatballs or macaroni and cheese, while baby food and bibs are available for even younger visitors.
- The Bistro near the store’s exit serves hot dogs, cinnamon buns, frozen yogurt and beverages.
- The Swedish Foodmarket offers Swedish delicacies, snacks and treats, and even frozen Swedish meatballs (the same ones used in the Restaurant) to purchase and then prepare at home.
8. A Free Sofa? – Rest Assured! The first 41 adults (18 & older) in IKEA St. Louis on September 30, 2015 will receive a free EKTORP three-seat sofa, honoring our 41st U.S. store.
IKEA St. Louis is the Swedish company’s 1st store and restaurant destination in Missouri, 41st in the United States, and 377th worldwide. (A Kansas City-area store opened in Merriam, Kansas last Fall, 2014.) The 380,000 square-foot IKEA St. Louis was built on 21 acres along Interstate-64 at Vandeventer Avenue, in Midtown’s Cortex Innovation Community. The store employs more than 300 coworkers!
7. Take a Seat (Really! Take It!) – The next 100 adults (18 & older) in IKEA St. Louis on September 30, 2015 will receive a free POÄNG armchair.
6. You get a card! You Get a Card! Everybody (In the 1st 2,500) Gets A Card! – The first 2,500 adults (18 & older) in IKEA St. Louis on September 30, 2015 will receive a random prize envelope with IKEA Gift Cards ranging from $10 to $250, or a “Buy One, Get One Free” cinnamon bun, hotdog or frozen yogurt voucher.
5. Happy Birthday to You and IKEA – Visitors bringing proof to IKEA St. Louis on September 30, 2015 that their birthday is the same as the store’s can receive a gift card in the amount of $41, a tie-in corresponding to IKEA St. Louis as the 41st IKEA store in the U.S.
4. IKEA Loves The Kids – Shop Comfortably While Your Child Is Taken Care Of
Småland is a play area where children can feel Swedish forest atmosphere. While they are playing, you can enjoy your shopping experience knowing your children will be safe and cared for.
- Småland, a supervised children’s play area (for children 37”-54” in height) that replicates the look of a typical Swedish farmhouse and forest;
- Additional play areas throughout the store, offering activities for kids shopping with parents;
- A “Children’s IKEA” area in the Showroom that also offers fun, interactive play; and
- Attention-to-detail amenities such as family-friendly parking, strollers and baby care rooms.
3. Downsize Without Compromise – IKEA offers several floor plans where small space was utilized to the best ability! Floor plans are as small as 270 sq ft.! I definitely learned how to use vertical space!!
2. They Have (what I have named) The Ultimate Charging Station- This was one of my favorite pieces!
I know that I use my phone CONSTANTLY. That is the reason why my phone is on struggle mode as I type this. (I forgot my charger at the office! [insert sad face here] But struggle mode no longer! If I owned this charging station, I could lay my phone flat on the plus symbol, no cord needed!
1. IKEA has employed over 300 people in St. Louis alone!
IKEA has been included in rankings of “Best Companies to Work For” and, as further investment in its coworkers, has raised its own minimum wage twice in two years.
More job opportunities, satisfying family needs and affordable costs for everyone; IKEA has certainly brought an amazing gem to St. Louis! There aren’t too many large stores that offer childcare! OR even a restaurant! I am happy to see this economic growth for my hometown and I pray that this is only the beginning and that St. Louis will only go up from here!
IKEA ST. LOUIS WILL BE OPEN JUST FOR YOU, WEDNESDAY SEPT. 30TH @ 9AM
Will you be at any of the grand opening events? Are you excited about the new IKEA? Why?
One thought on “IKEA-STL RECAP | IT’S NOT JUST FURNITURE! IT’S A BLESSING”
I love, love, love the way you describe your experience! I wish I were there with you. Cool assignment. 🙂